Drugs Home > Ortho-Cept
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Ortho-Cept with or without food. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Each pack of Ortho-Cept contains 28 pills. Be sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, start a new pack right away. You will probably start your period during the last seven days of the pack.
- Make sure you understand the Ortho-Cept packaging, including how to remove the pills, where to start, and which direction to take them (they come in a "Dialpak®," with the tablets arranged in a circle).
- It is important that you take Ortho-Cept every day and at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that will be easy to remember, such as at bedtime or breakfast. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for a week.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Ortho-Cept will not work if you stop taking it.