Drugs Home > Ondansetron

What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?

You should talk with your healthcare provider before taking this medication if you have:
  • Liver problems, including cirrhosis
  • An arrhythmia (an irregular heart rhythm), especially long QT syndrome
  • Phenylketonuria
  • An electrolyte imbalance
  • Heart disease 
  • Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
  • Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Zofran During Pregnancy)
  • Are breastfeeding
  • Have severe or constant nausea or vomiting that is not helped by ondansetron. Also, talk with your healthcare provider if you are vomiting blood.
  • Have severe vomiting and diarrhea. This combination of problems can lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you are currently taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Warnings and Precautions With Ondansetron for more information on this topic, including information on who should not take this drug.)

What Is It Used For?

Uses of ondansetron include:
  • Prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy
  • Prevention of nausea and vomiting due to radiation therapy for cancer
  • Prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting that can occur after surgery.
Ondansetron is not intended to treat nausea or vomiting that is already occurring.
(Click What Is Ondansetron Used For? for more information on what the drug is used for, including possible off-label uses.)
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation

Topics & Medications


Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.