Drugs Home > Niacin Extended-Release/Lovastatin
Niacin extended-release/lovastatin is approved for treating certain conditions related to heart disease and cholesterol. It is a combination product that contains two different cholesterol-lowering medications. Clinical studies show that the prescription drug can help improve "good" cholesterol levels and decrease "bad" cholesterol, total cholesterol, and triglycerides. It comes in tablet form and should be taken at bedtime with a low-fat snack.
- Flushing (sudden reddening and warmth of the face, neck, and/or upper chest)
- Pain, including back pain and stomach pain
- Indigestion or heartburn (dyspepsia)
- Itchy skin
- Muscle pain (see Advicor and Muscle Pain)
- Increased liver enzymes (see Advicor and Liver Problems).