Drugs Home > What Is Meperidine Used For?
Meperidine is licensed to relieve moderate to severe pain. Injectable forms of this medicine are also approved for controlling pain during labor and childbirth and can be used as anesthesia or used for preoperative sedation. Healthcare providers may also occasionally recommend off-label uses of meperidine. Using this pain reliever as an epidural or to treat or prevent shivering is considered an off-label use.
- Preoperative sedation (before a surgery)
- Anesthesia (when used with other medications)
- Pain relief during labor and childbirth.
- Prevention and treatment of rigors (shivering) caused by certain drugs or blood transfusions
- Treatment of shivering after surgeries
- Short-term treatment (less than 48 yours) of pain in people with normal kidney, liver, and central nervous system function if other opioids cannot be given (such as if the patient is allergic to other opioids).