Drugs Home > Megestrol ES
How Does It Work?Megestrol ES belongs to a class of medicines known as progestins. It is related to the naturally occurring hormone progesterone. In clinical studies, megestrol ES was shown to stimulate appetite and cause weight gain. It is unknown how the medication works to cause these actions. However, it can be used to treat weight loss because of these side effects.
Clinical Effects of Megestrol ESThe clinical effects of megestrol ES are expected to be similar to the clinical effects of regular megestrol. In clinical studies, megestrol was shown to improve appetite, increase the amount of calories consumed, and increase weight in people with AIDS. More specifically, up to 89 percent of people given megestrol had an improvement in appetite over 12 weeks of treatment. People given megestrol also had an average weight gain of over 10 pounds over the 12-week period.
When and How to Take This MedicineSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with megestrol ES include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a liquid. It is normally taken by mouth once a day.
- Megestrol ES can be taken with or without food. Try taking it with food if it seems to bother your stomach.
- Shake the container well before using to make sure the medicine is thoroughly mixed.
- Try to take your megestrol ES dose at about the same time every day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- Do not use a standard household spoon to measure your dose. Instead, use an accurately marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. Your pharmacist can give you an appropriate measuring device if you need one.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.