Drugs Home > Dosing With Colesevelam
People with high cholesterol or type 2 diabetes are typically prescribed a colesevelam dosage of 1875 mg (three tablets) twice a day or 3750 (six tablets) once a day. A powdered form of colesevelam is also available. Factors that can affect dosing with colesevelam include other medications you may be taking and other medical conditions you may have.
An Introduction to Dosing With ColesevelamThe dose of colesevelam hydrochloride (WelChol®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As with any drug, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended colesevelam dosage for treating high cholesterol or type 2 diabetes is colesevelam 1875 mg (three tablets) twice a day with meals or colesevelam 3750 mg (six tablets) once a day with a meal.
For the powder form, the standard recommended dosage is one 3.75-gram packet once daily or one 1.875-gram packet twice daily. Make sure to dissolve that powder in four to eight ounces of water, fruit juice, or diet soda.
If you take the drug for high cholesterol, your healthcare provider should recommend that you return to recheck your cholesterol levels after several weeks.
Your healthcare provider may decide to decrease your colesevelam dosage if a side effect occurs or if your cholesterol or blood sugar levels fall significantly below the targeted goal.
General Information on Dosing With Colesevelam
Considerations for people taking colesevelam include the following:
- Colesevelam should be used in combination with lifestyle modifications. These include a healthy diet low in cholesterol and saturated fats, limited alcohol use, weight loss, and exercise.
- The medication should be taken with a meal and plenty of water to avoid constipation or swallowing difficulties.
- Colesevelam should be taken at the same time(s) every day to help maintain an even level in your blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- If you are taking colesevelam twice a day and miss the first dose, take the total daily dose all at once with your next meal. If you miss the dose for the entire day, skip the missed dose(s) and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Do not take a double or extra dose.
- Colesevelam may reduce the absorption of some medications. If you are taking another medication, you may need to take it four hours before you take colesevelam. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist can let you know which medications need to be taken separately from colesevelam (see Drug Interactions With Colesevelam).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Colesevelam will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to colesevelam or your colesevelam dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.