Drugs Home > Colesevelam
When and How Do I Take Colesevelam?General considerations to keep in mind when taking this drug include the following:
- Colesevelam comes in tablet form and is taken by mouth once or twice a day with meals. People are typically advised to take it with at least half a glass of water to avoid constipation or swallowing difficulties.
- Colesevelam also comes in powder packets that are meant to be dissolved in four to eight ounces of water, fruit juice, or diet soda.
- This medication should be taken at the same time(s) every day to help maintain an even level in your blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- Colesevelam may reduce the absorption of some medications. If you are taking another medication, you may need to take it four hours before you take colesevelam. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist can let you know which medications need to be taken separately.
- For this medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Colesevelam will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of colesevelam your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.