Precautions and Warnings With Sodium Picosulfate/Magnesium Oxide/Anhydrous Citric Acid
Although sodium picosulfate/magnesium oxide/anhydrous citric acid can be an effective bowel-prep product for many people, it may not be appropriate for those with an intestinal blockage, kidney disease, or a bowel perforation. Other important precautions for using sodium picosulfate/magnesium oxide/anhydrous citric acid safely include warnings of potentially serious electrolyte imbalances, colon ulcerations, and other complications.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking sodium picosulfate/magnesium oxide/anhydrous citric acid (Prepopik®) if you have:
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- A history of seizures
- Difficulty swallowing
- Frequent vomiting
- A hole in the bowel (bowel perforation)
- Intestinal blockage (obstruction)
- Signs of a bowel obstruction, such as:
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- Abdominal swelling (distention)
- An electrolyte imbalance, such as low blood sodium (hyponatremia) or potassium (hypokalemia)
- Been on a low-salt diet
- Gastric retention (a condition in which there is a delayed emptying of stomach contents into the intestines)
- Inflammatory bowel disease or other bowel problems, such as:
- Ulcerative colitis
- Toxic colitis
- Toxic megacolon
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
You should also tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Precautions and Warnings With Sodium Picosulfate/Magnesium Oxide/Anhydrous Citric Acid Article Continues on Next Page >