You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking simvastatin if you have:
- Heart disease
- Liver disease or liver failure
- Kidney disease or kidney failure
- A family history of high cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia)
- A history of a heart attack or stroke
- Any allergies.
Let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are of Chinese descent
- Are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant (see Zocor and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding
- Will be undergoing a procedure or surgery
- Drink alcohol frequently.
Also, tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you are already taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, antacids, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings of Simvastatin to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)
- Treatment of high cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia)
- Treatment of high triglycerides (the most common form of fat in the body)
- Prevention of heart or blood vessel disease (known as cardiovascular disease).
The medication has also been approved for use in children ages 10 to 17 for the treatment of high cholesterol.