Simvastatin (Zocor®) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat several conditions. These uses include:
- Treatment of high cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia)
- Treatment of high triglycerides
- Prevention of heart or blood vessel disease (known as cardiovascular disease).
In mid-2006, the patent for this drug expired and generic forms can now be produced. Generic simvastatin is sold under the name Simvastatin tablets.
Generic Simvastatin Strengths
Generic simvastatin is available in the following strengths:
- Simvastatin tablets 5 mg
- Simvastatin tablets 10 mg
- Simvastatin tablets 20 mg
- Simvastatin tablets 40 mg
- Simvastatin tablets 80 mg.
Who Manufactures Generic Simvastatin?
Generic simvastatin is manufactured by two companies. IVAX Pharmaceuticals makes the 5-mg, 10-mg, 20-mg, and 40-mg varieties, while Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals makes the 80-mg variety.