Simvastatin (Zocor®) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat several conditions. These uses include:
- Treatment of high cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia)
- Treatment of high triglycerides
- Prevention of heart or blood vessel disease (known as cardiovascular disease).
In mid-2006, the patent for this drug expired and generic forms can now be produced. Generic simvastatin is sold under the name Simvastatin tablets.
Generic simvastatin is available in the following strengths:
- Simvastatin tablets 5 mg
- Simvastatin tablets 10 mg
- Simvastatin tablets 20 mg
- Simvastatin tablets 40 mg
- Simvastatin tablets 80 mg.
Generic simvastatin is manufactured by two companies. IVAX Pharmaceuticals makes the 5-mg, 10-mg, 20-mg, and 40-mg varieties, while Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals makes the 80-mg variety.