Rosuvastatin Side Effects
Some common side effects of rosuvastatin include headache, muscle aches, dizziness, and nausea. A few rare side effects seen with this medicine include kidney failure, pancreatitis, and allergic reactions. If you experience any problems or if something "just does not seem right" while taking rosuvastatin, let your healthcare provider know.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with rosuvastatin (Crestor®). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If a person does develop side effects, in most cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. In previous research studies, up to 3.7 percent of people stopped taking rosuvastatin because of side effects.
If you experience unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness while taking rosuvastatin (especially if they are accompanied by a fever or body aches), it is important to contact your healthcare provider immediately (see Crestor and Muscle Pain).
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with rosuvastatin. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of rosuvastatin side effects with you.)
Some side effects with rosuvastatin, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of liver damage, such as:
- Yellow eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Upper-right abdominal pain
- Dark urine
- Elevated liver enzymes (found using a simple blood test)
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially if you also have a fever or feel ill (which may be signs of serious breakdown of muscle, known as rhabdomyolysis)
- Significant, unexplained changes in the amount of urine you produce (which may be a sign of kidney problems)
- Signs of pancreatitis, such as severe upper abdominal pain (stomach pain) accompanied by nausea and vomiting
- Memory loss
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- A rash
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the mouth, tongue, or throat.