For those who are beginning treatment with Questran, dosage recommendations start at one packet or one level scoopful once or twice a day with meals. If your cholesterol goals aren't reached after several weeks, your doctor may increase your dose or add a new cholesterol medicine. The suggested Questran dosage for maintaining your cholesterol level is two to four packets or scoopfuls daily, separated into two doses.
The dose of Questran® (cholestyramine) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Questran dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting dosage for adults is one packet or one level scoopful once or twice a day with meals. This applies to all Questran powder products, including Questran and Questran Light. If this drug is prescribed for lowering cholesterol, your healthcare provider may recommend that you return to recheck your cholesterol levels after several weeks. If you have not reached your cholesterol goal at this time, your healthcare provider may choose to increase your dose or add a new cholesterol medication. The recommended maintenance dose of Questran is two to four packets or scoopfuls daily, separated into two doses.
Your healthcare provider may decide to decrease your Questran dosage if a side effect occurs or if your cholesterol levels fall significantly below the targeted goal.
Some considerations for people taking Questran include:
- Questran should never be taken alone in its powder form. Make sure to follow the preparation directions on the prescription. Questran may be mixed with water, non-carbonated beverages, liquid soup, apple sauce, or crushed pineapple.
- Your Questran dosage should be taken with a meal and plenty of water to avoid constipation.
- If prescribed to lower cholesterol, Questran should be used in combination with lifestyle modifications. This includes a healthy diet low in cholesterol (see Low Cholesterol Diet) and saturated fats, limited alcohol use, weight loss, and exercise.
- Questran should be taken at the same time every day to help maintain an even level of the drug in the blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- If you forget to take a dose of Questran, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Never double your dose of Questran at one time.
- Questran may reduce the absorption of some medications. If you are taking another medication, you may need to take it one hour before or four to six hours after you take your Questran. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist can let you know which medications need to be taken separately from Questran (see Questran Drug Interactions).
- For Questran to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Questran will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Questran or your Questran dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Questran without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.