Previfem Side Effects
Breakthrough bleeding between periods, changes in sex drive, and nausea or vomiting are some of the common side effects seen with birth control pills (including Previfem). Side effects can be bothersome but are usually not dangerous. Certain Previfem side effects, however, should be reported to a healthcare provider immediately, including high cholesterol, chest pain, or depression.
An Introduction to Previfem Side Effects
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Previfem® (norgestimate/ethinyl estradiol); however, not every woman who uses the contraceptive will experience side effects. In fact, most women tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Previfem. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Previfem side effects with you. Previfem is a generic version of Ortho-Cyclen®.)
Previfem Side Effects to Report
There are a number of side effects with Previfem that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- Chest pain or heaviness, which may be signs of a heart attack
- Sudden loss of vision or vision changes, which can be a sign of a blood clot in the eye
- Signs of a stroke, such as vision or speech changes, weakness or numbness in an arm or leg, and a severe headache
- Signs of liver damage, such as yellow eyes or skin (jaundice), dark urine, and upper right abdominal pain
- Depression or other emotional changes
- Migraines (or changes in your migraines, if you have had them before)
- Breast lumps
- Signs of a blood clot in the leg, such as pain in the calf, leg cramps, and leg or foot swelling
- Signs of a blood clot in the lung, such as shortness of breath, sharp chest pain, or coughing up blood
- Heavy vaginal bleeding between periods (light bleeding or spotting is normal)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.