Some general considerations for those taking Phenergan include the following:
- Phenergan comes in tablet, rectal suppository, syrup, and injectable form. It is usually taken one to three times daily.
- You can take this medicine with or without food.
- Great care should be taken if Phenergan is injected intravenously, as improper administration can cause severe tissue damage, including gangrene. In some cases, amputations have resulted.
Phenergan should not be given by "IV push" (when the medication is injected with a syringe rapidly into the IV line rather than dripped slowly into the IV line). Injection directly into a muscle is the preferred way to give this drug in most situations.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
The dose of Phenergan your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Your age and weight (for children)
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Phenergan Dosage for more information.)