At this time, Phenergan (promethazine) is only available in generic form. Although brand-name products were once available, they are no longer being manufactured. Generic Phenergan products come in the form of tablets, rectal suppositories, syrup, and an injection, and are made by a number of different drug companies.
Phenergan® (promethazine hydrochloride) is a prescription medication approved for treating a variety of different conditions. It is a sedating antihistamine that belongs to a group of medications known as phenothiazines.
Brand-name Phenergan tablets, syrup, and suppositories were once made by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Inc. but are no longer being manufactured. Brand-name Phenergan injection is made by Baxter Healthcare Corporation. Generic versions are made by various manufacturers.
It should be noted that this article applies only to Phenergan products that contain only promethazine as the active ingredient. Some cough syrups (such as Phenergan with Codeine) contain other active ingredients as well.
Generic forms of Phenergan are available in the following strengths and forms:
- Promethazine 12.5 mg tablets and rectal suppositories
- Promethazine 25 mg tablets and rectal suppositories
- Promethazine 50 mg tablets and rectal suppositories
- Promethazine 6.25 mg per 5 mL syrup
- Promethazine 25 mg per mL injection
- Promethazine 50 mg per mL injection.
Several different manufacturers make a generic version of Phenergan, including (but not limited to):
- KVK Tech, Inc.
- Paddock Laboratories, Inc.
- Taro Pharmaceutical Industries
- Vintage Pharmaceutical, Inc.
- Watson Laboratories, Inc.
- Wockhardt USA
- Zydus Pharmaceuticals.