Drugs Channel
Topics & Medications
Related Channels

Oral Tranexamic Acid

What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?

Prior to taking this medication, talk to your healthcare provider if you:
  • Have ever had a blood clot
  • Are at a high risk for blood clots
  • Use hormonal contraceptives
  • Have irregular menstrual periods
  • Have a short menstrual cycle (21 days or shorter)
  • Have a long menstrual cycle (35 days or longer)
  • Have kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
  • Have heart valve disease or an irregular heart rhythm
  • Have a subarachnoid hemorrhage
  • Have any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings With Oral Tranexamic Acid to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)

How Does Oral Tranexamic Acid Work?

Oral tranexamic acid is an antifibrinolytic medication -- this means that it inhibits the process of fibrinolysis (the breakdown of blood clots). Blood clots are largely made of a protein called fibrin. An enzyme known as plasmin is responsible for breaking down the clots.
Oral tranexamic acid works by preventing the enzyme plasmin from being formed and by preventing plasmin from binding to the fibrin in the clots; this prevents the clots from breaking down.
Since heavy menstrual bleeding has been associated with an abnormally high rate of clot breakdown, oral tranexamic acid can help decrease excess menstrual bleeding.
4 Relationship Skills for People With ADHD

Oral Tranexamic Acid Information

Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2018 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.