Oral Tranexamic Acid Dosage
For women whose kidneys are functioning normally, the standard recommended dosing of oral tranexamic acid is two 650-mg tablets, three times daily. This dosage can be taken for up to five days during each menstrual period. A lower amount may be recommended for women whose kidneys are not functioning well.
The dose of oral tranexamic acid (Lysteda™) your healthcare provider recommends will depend mostly upon how well your kidneys are functioning. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
For women with normal kidney function, the standard recommended oral tranexamic acid dose is two 650-mg tablets taken three times a day for up to five days during each menstrual period. For women with kidneys that are not functioning well, a lower dosage may be recommended.
Considerations to keep in mind during treatment with oral tranexamic acid include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth three times a day for up to five days during your menstrual period.
- A dose of oral tranexamic acid can be taken with or without food. Try taking it with food if the medicine bothers your stomach.
- Do not crush, chew, or break the tablets; be sure to swallow them whole.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your oral tranexamic acid dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.