An Introduction to Dosing With Oral Tranexamic Acid
The dose of oral tranexamic acid
™) your healthcare provider recommends will depend mostly upon how well your kidneys are functioning. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Oral Tranexamic Acid Dosage for Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
For women with normal kidney function, the standard recommended oral tranexamic acid dose is two 650-mg tablets taken three times a day for up to five days during each menstrual period. For women with kidneys that are not functioning well, a lower dosage may be recommended.
General Information on Taking Your Dose
Considerations to keep in mind during treatment with oral tranexamic acid include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth three times a day for up to five days during your menstrual period.
- A dose of oral tranexamic acid can be taken with or without food. Try taking it with food if the medicine bothers your stomach.
- Do not crush, chew, or break the tablets; be sure to swallow them whole.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your oral tranexamic acid dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.