If you take too much omeprazole, you may have symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, blurred vision, drowsiness, and sweating. The effects of an overdose will vary depending on how much of the medication was taken. Treatment for an overdose of omeprazole will likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Overdose on Omeprazole?
Omeprazole (Prilosec®) is a prescription medication used to treat several conditions related to the esophagus, stomach, and intestines. It is part of a class of drugs known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). Over-the-counter omeprazole OTC (omeprazole magnesium or Prilosec OTC®) is also available for treating heartburn.
The effects of an omeprazole overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much of the drug was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, or street drugs.
If you happen to overdose on omeprazole, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of an Omeprazole Overdose
If a person overdoses on omeprazole, the symptoms can vary. Some commonly reported symptoms of an overdose include:
- Blurred vision
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sweating and flushing
- Dry mouth.
Treatment OptionsTreatment for an omeprazole overdose varies. Treatment may involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.