Considerations for people taking Nature-Throid include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form and is taken once a day.
- Although the prescribing information for Nature-Throid does not mention this, it is best to take the drug on an empty stomach, 30 to 60 minutes before a meal.
- Since the tablets contain ground-up pig thyroids, they have a characteristic odor that many people consider to be unpleasant.
- Your healthcare provider will adjust your Nature-Throid dose based on certain blood tests. Be sure to tell your healthcare provider if you have missed any of your doses, as this may affect dose adjustments.
- Try to take Nature-Throid at the same time each day to keep an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Nature-Throid will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Nature-Throid dosage, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.