When and How to Use MicrogestinGeneral considerations for when and how to use the medication include the following:
- Microgestin comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- Each pack of Microgestin contains 21 pills. Be sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, wait seven days before starting the next one. You will probably start your period during this week, but be sure to start the next pack on schedule, no matter when your period starts.
- You can take Microgestin with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- It is important that you take Microgestin every day and at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that will be easy to remember, such as at bedtime or breakfast. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for a week.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThere is only one standard dose of Microgestin, regardless of your age, weight, or medical conditions. As with any medication, do not adjust your Microgestin dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Microgestin Dosing for more information.)