Interested in a Discount on Mevacor?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
Some general considerations for when and how to take this medication include the following:
- Your Mevacor dose should be taken with the evening meal.
- Do not take this medication on an empty stomach, as this may decrease the level of the medication in your blood.
- Make sure to take Mevacor in the evening, as it will not work as well if you take it earlier in the day (the liver produces the most cholesterol during the middle of the night).
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Mevacor will not work if you stop taking it.
People taking Mevacor should not drink grapefruit juice because it can increase the levels of Mevacor in the blood, which can increase the risk of serious muscle problems. If you are taking this medication and want to continue drinking grapefruit juice, talk to your doctor about other cholesterol-lowering medications (see Grapefruit Juice and Mevacor for more information).
As with any cholesterol medication, you should continue to eat a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet as part of your treatment program to lower cholesterol.
The dose of Mevacor your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Mevacor Dosage for more information.)