Mevacor® (lovastatin) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat several conditions. Specific uses of the drug include:
- Treating high cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia)
- Slowing down the progression of atherosclerosis (narrowing and hardening of the arteries) in people with heart disease
- Preventing heart or blood vessel disease (known as cardiovascular disease).
The patent for Mevacor has expired, and generic versions are now available. Generic Mevacor is sold under the name Lovastatin tablets.
The Mevacor generics are available in the following strengths:
- Lovastatin tablets 10 mg
- Lovastatin tablets 20 mg
- Lovastatin tablets 40 mg.
The medications are manufactured by many different companies, such as:
- Actavis US
- Apotex Corporation
- Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Mutual Pharmaceutical Co., Inc.
- Mylan Pharmaceuticals
- Teva Pharmaceuticals.