Drugs Home > Vandetanib Dosage
Your healthcare provider will take several factors into consideration when determining a suitable dose of vandetanib for your particular situation. Some of these factors include how you respond to treatment and whether you have any other conditions affecting your health. The usual recommended amount is 300 mg a day. People with kidney disease may need a lower dosage.
The dose of vandetanib (Caprelsa®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you tolerate the medicine
- Other medical conditions you have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The usual recommended dose of vandetanib for the treatment of medullary thyroid cancer is 300 mg daily. The usual amount for people with moderate or severe kidney disease is 200 mg a day. The medication is normally taken until benefits are no longer seen or until potentially serious or intolerable side effects occur.
People who experience certain vandetanib side effects may need to stop treatment until the problem resolves. The drug may then be restarted, usually at a lower dose.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with vandetanib include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take a dose of vandetanib with or without food.
- Swallow vandetanib tablets whole. Do not crush, chew, or cut them.
- People who cannot swallow the tablets whole can mix them with 2 ounces (30 mL) of water and drink the mixture after stirring for about 10 minutes. The tablets will distribute throughout the water, but will not dissolve completely. After drinking the mixture, rinse the glass with another four ounces of water and drink again to ensure you get your complete dose.
- Try to take your dose at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream. Taking it at the same time may also help you remember to take it.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with vandetanib, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.