Drugs Home > Tobramycin Inhalation Solution Dosage
With tobramycin inhalation solution, dosing is standard for everyone -- 300 mg of the inhalation solution twice a day for 28 days. This will be followed by a 28-day break from using the drug before this treatment cycle will begin again. Your healthcare provider will tell you how many treatment cycles you will need.
There is only one recommended dosage of tobramycin inhalation solution (Bethkis®, Tobi®), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The usual recommended dosage of tobramycin inhalation solution is one ampule (300 mg) twice a day for 28 days, followed by 28 days when no medication is taken. This cycle of 28 days using the drug followed by 28 days off the drug should be repeated until your healthcare provider tells you otherwise.
You will need a nebulizer and an air compressor to use this medication. These devices turn the liquid medicine into a fine mist that can be inhaled into the lungs.
You should continue inhaling your dose until all the medicine is gone from the nebulizer and a mist is no longer being produced. You may hear a sputtering when the dose is complete. It will take approximately 15 minutes to receive your entire dosage.
You healthcare provider will teach you how to use the nebulizer and air compressor. You will also receive written instructions. It is important to use, care for, and clean these devices as instructed. Make sure to ask questions if there is anything about using the nebulizer and air compressor that isn't clear.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with tobramycin inhalation solution include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a liquid that is turned into a mist with a nebulizer and an air compressor. The mist is breathed into the lungs twice a day.
- You should try to take your doses at about the same time each day, as close to 12 hours apart as possible. Do not take the doses less than six hours apart.
- You will need a nebulizer and an air compressor to use this medicine. Make sure you understand exactly how to use and care for these devices. Ask questions if anything is unclear.
- If you are using other inhaled medicines, use them first and take your tobramycin inhalation solution dose last.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not stop using this medicine until your healthcare instructs you to do so, even if you feel better.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of tobramycin inhalation solution, please talk with your healthcare provider.