Drugs Home > Testosterone Buccal Tablet Dosage
The testosterone buccal tablet is not meant to be swallowed. As a buccal tablet, this product differs from ordinary tablets, in that you apply the tablet to the gums twice a day. This allows the testosterone to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream. The dosing guidelines for the testosterone buccal tablet must be followed exactly in order for this medication to work.
An Introduction to Dosing With the Testosterone Buccal TabletThere is only one standard dosage for the testosterone buccal tablet (Striant™), regardless of your age, weight, or testosterone level. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The recommended testosterone buccal tablet dose is 30 mg (one tablet) applied to the gums twice a day, about 12 hours apart. If your testosterone level is too high or too low while you are using the medication, your healthcare provider will probably need to switch you to a different type of testosterone medication, since the dosage for this product is not adjustable.
While you should not intentionally swallow a testosterone buccal tablet, doing so will probably cause no harm. When testosterone is swallowed, the majority of the drug is destroyed by the liver before it ever reaches the bloodstream.
Considerations to keep in mind during treatment with testosterone buccal tablets include the following:
- The medication is a buccal tablet that is applied to the gums above the upper incisor teeth twice a day. The incisors are the teeth just to the right and left of your two front teeth.
- Apply the tablet with the rounded side toward your gums and the flat side toward your cheek. Press down on the tablet (from outside your upper lip) for 30 seconds to help it stick.
- The tablet may stick to your gums or your cheek. Either is fine.
- Check to make sure the tablet is still in place after you brush your teeth, eat, or drink. You may find that it works best to apply the tablet after brushing your teeth in the morning and evening.
- The tablet softens but does not dissolve. You will need to remove it before applying a new one. Switch sides of the mouth every time you apply a new tablet.
- If the tablet falls off within the first eight hours, replace it with a new one. This counts as the original dose (remove it and apply your next dose at your regular time).
- If the tablet falls off after 8 hours but before 12 hours, replace it with a new one. This counts as the next dose.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or use it more frequently than prescribed without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with testosterone buccal tablets, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.