Brand-name Tapazole tablets are made by AAI Pharma for King Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Generic versions are made by various manufacturers.
Tapazole works by inhibiting the production of hormones in the thyroid. The medication prevents the oxidation of iodine, an important step in the production of thyroid hormones. It does not affect the thyroid hormones that are already circulating in the bloodstream.
When and How to Take This Medication
Some general considerations to keep in mind while taking this medication include the following:
- Tapazole comes in tablet form. It is usually taken three times daily.
- You can take it with or without food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
The dose of Tapazole your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to this medication
- The severity of your condition
- Your weight (for children)
- Any other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.