) is a prescription medication approved to prevent transplant rejection in people who have received a kidney, liver, or heart transplant. Just like any medicine, it is possible to overdose on Sandimmune.
The specific effects of an overdose may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Sandimmune dosage
and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of a Sandimmune Overdose
Based on overdose reports, taking too much Sandimmune may cause (among other things):
- Increased heart rate (tachycardia)
- Kidney problems (these are usually temporary)
- Increased blood pressure (hypertension)
- Changes in taste
- Flushing of the face
- Burning sensation in the mouth or on the skin
- Sore gums
- Muscle twitch
- Swelling of the stomach, arms, legs, ankles, or feet
- Confusion or altered consciousness
- An abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia).
The treatment for a Sandimmune overdose may vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or give certain medicines to induce vomiting and reduce the amount of drug absorbed into the bloodstream. Because Sandimmune is absorbed slowly, such treatment may be useful for up to two hours after the overdose occurred. Dialysis is not expected to be useful for removing Sandimmune from the body.
Treatment for any type of overdose also usually involves supportive care. This consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive treatment for a Sandimmune overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
- Close monitoring of kidney function, body salts (electrolytes), blood pressure, and heart rhythm
- Medications to treat seizures if they occur.
It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you or someone else may have overdosed on this medication.