Drugs Home > PTU Dosage
The starting dose of PTU for adults is generally between 100 and 300 mg, and it will be adjusted based on the person's response to the medication, among other things. For children, the starting dosage is usually 50 mg daily. Both adults and children take this drug three times a day, and each dose can be taken with or without food.
An Introduction to Dosing With PTUThe dosage of PTU (propylthiouracil) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to this medication
- The severity of your condition
- Your age
- Any other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust this amount unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Recommended PTU Dosage for AdultsFor treating hyperthyroidism in adults, the starting dosage may range from 100 mg three times daily to 300 mg three times daily, depending on the severity of the hyperthyroidism. As the condition becomes controlled, your healthcare provider may be able to lower this amount.
Recommended Dose for ChildrenFor hyperthyroidism treatment in children age 6 to 10, a starting dose of 50 mg total daily (divided up into three smaller doses per day) is recommended. For children age 10 and older, the starting PTU dosage is 100 to 150 mg total daily (divided up into three smaller doses per day). Your child's healthcare provider may reduce this amount as the condition improves.
General Information on Taking Your DosageSome considerations to keep in mind when taking this medicine include the following:
- PTU comes in tablet form. It is usually taken three times daily.
- You can take it with or without food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or PTU dosing in general, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.