Drugs Home > Nitroglycerin Tablet Dosage
With nitroglycerin tablets, the dosing guidelines are the same for everyone. At the onset of chest pain, dissolve one nitroglycerin tablet under your tongue or between the gum and cheek. If your chest pain continues, you can use a second and third tablet (wait five minutes between each tablet). If you still have chest pain after the third tablet, seek medical care right away.
An Introduction to Your Nitroglycerin Tablet DosageThere is only one standard dose for nitroglycerin tablets (Nitrostat®). As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Dosing Guidelines for Nitroglycerin TabletsAt the start of an angina (chest pain) attack, place one tablet under the tongue or between the cheek and gum. Do not swallow or chew the tablet; let it dissolve on its own. If necessary, a second and third tablet may be used, with five minutes between using each tablet.
If you use a third tablet and your chest pain continues, it is time to seek immediate medical attention. You may be having a heart attack or other serious heart problem.
Do not use this product more frequently or at a higher dosage than absolutely necessary. Using it too often can result in a tolerance to the drug, which means your body becomes accustomed to it and no longer responds to the medication.
It is best to rest (preferably while sitting) when using this product. Try not to be standing, if possible, in case you become dizzy or faint.
General Information on Using Nitroglycerin TabletsSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with nitroglycerin tablets include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a sublingual tablet that is dissolved under the tongue or between the cheek and gum. Do not chew or swallow the tablets.
- If your chest pain continues after one tablet, you can take another one five minutes later. If chest pain is still not relieved after a third tablet, seek immediate medical attention.
- Nitroglycerin tablets can also be used 5 to 10 minutes before activity that is anticipated to cause chest pain.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with nitroglycerin tablets, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.