Drugs Home > Mevacor Dosage
The recommended starting Mevacor dose for children ages 10 to 17 with high cholesterol is Mevacor 10 mg to 20 mg once a day. If your child does not reach his or her cholesterol goal on the starting dose, your healthcare provider may choose to increase the dosage. The dosage can also be decreased if side effects occur. The maximum daily dosage for children is Mevacor 40 mg.
Some considerations for people taking Mevacor include the following:
- Your dose of Mevacor should be taken with the evening meal.
- Do not take this medication on an empty stomach, as this may decrease the level of Mevacor in your blood.
- Make sure to take Mevacor in the evening, as it will not work as well if you take your dose earlier in the day (since the liver produces the most cholesterol during the middle of the night).
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Mevacor will not work if you stop taking it.
- Remember that lowering cholesterol begins with lifestyle changes (weight loss, low-cholesterol diet, and exercise). If lifestyle changes alone do not lower cholesterol to a desirable level, medication such as Mevacor may be necessary. However, even for those who are taking cholesterol medication, lifestyle changes are still important for maintaining a good cholesterol level.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Mevacor or your Mevacor dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.