Drugs Home > Ketoconazole Foam Dosage
With ketoconazole foam, the recommended dosing guidelines for treating seborrhea call for applying the medicine on the affected areas of the skin twice daily for four weeks. If necessary, your healthcare provider may recommend repeat treatments, although it is unknown whether this is effective. Be careful not to get this foam warm, as it can melt and become runny.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of Ketoconazole FoamThere is only one standard dose of ketoconazole foam (Extina®). As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Recommended Ketoconazole Foam Dosing GuidelinesFor seborrhea treatment, ketoconazole foam is applied twice a day for four weeks. It is possible that your healthcare provider might recommend repeat treatments, although it is unclear whether repeat treatments are beneficial; the prescribing information for ketoconazole foam does not mention the possibility of more than one treatment. For many people, seborrhea tends to come and go, and it is possible that repeat treatments might be useful.
Although the fact that this product comes as a foam makes it ideal for use on the scalp, there is no reason why it cannot be used to treat seborrhea on other parts of the body too.
General Information for Using Ketoconazole FoamSome considerations to keep in mind while using ketoconazole foam include the following:
- Turn the canister upside down and dispense into the cap or another cool surface. Dispensing it into a hand is not recommended, as it begins to melt immediately upon contact with warm skin.
- Gently massage the foam into the affected area, picking up only small bits of the foam at once. If your hands are warm, you might want to cool them off by rinsing in cold water and drying beforehand. If the foam still seems runny, try running the can under cold water for a few minutes.
- If you are applying the foam to a hairy area, such as the scalp, part the hair as you go and apply the medication directly to the skin rather than the hair.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dose of ketoconazole foam, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.