Drugs Home > Ivacaftor Dosage
People undergoing treatment with ivacaftor will receive an individual dosage based on their age, liver function, and various other factors. For most adults and children age 6 and older, the recommended dose is usually 150 mg twice daily, with 12 hours between doses. Make sure to take your dose with a high-fat meal.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of IvacaftorThe dose of ivacaftor (Kalydeco™) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on several factors, including:
- Your age
- Your liver function
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Recommended Ivacaftor Dosing Guidelines for Cystic FibrosisThe recommended daily dose of ivacaftor for most people age 6 and older is 150 mg twice daily (every 12 hours) with a high-fat meal. For people with moderate liver disease, a reduced dosage of ivacaftor 150 mg once daily is recommended. For people with severe kidney disease, this medicine should be used with caution and at reduced dosages (150 mg once daily or perhaps less frequently).
Certain medications known as CYP 3A4 inhibitors slow down the breakdown (metabolism) of ivacaftor. For people taking strong CYP 3A4 inhibitors, the recommended ivacaftor dosage is 150 mg twice a week. For people taking moderate CYP 3A4 inhibitors, the recommended amount is 150 mg once daily. Many different medications inhibit CYP 3A4 (see Drug Interactions With Ivacaftor for more information).
General Information on Taking IvacaftorSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with ivacaftor include the following:
- Ivacaftor comes in tablet form. Depending on a number of factors, it is taken by mouth once a day, twice a day, or twice a week.
- For people taking this medication twice daily, take the doses about 12 hours apart. For people taking it once a day, make sure to take it at the same time each day.
- Make sure to take ivacaftor with a high-fat meal. This should not be a problem for most people, as a high-fat diet is usually recommended for people with cystic fibrosis. This helps increase the absorption of the drug.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or ivacaftor dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.