Drugs Home > Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray
When and How to Take the MedicineSome general considerations for when and how to take fluticasone propionate nasal spray include the following:
- As the name implies, this medication comes in the form of a nasal spray. It is usually used once or twice a day.
- Be sure to shake your bottle well before each use.
- Blow your nose before each dose. Breathe in gently while spraying fluticasone propionate into your nose. Do not try to inhale the nasal spray or breathe in too deeply, as the medicine works when it comes in contact with the inside surfaces of the nose, not the throat or lungs.
- Avoid aiming the spray toward the wall that separates your nostrils (in the middle of your nose, called the nasal septum). Spraying fluticasone propionate nasal spray toward the nasal septum increases the risk of nosebleeds. Some people find it easiest to avoid this by holding the bottle in the opposite hand (using the right hand to spray into the left nostril, and vice versa).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Fluticasone propionate nasal spray will not work if you stop taking it.