Drugs Home > Dinoprostone
How Does Dinoprostone Work?Dinoprostone is a manufactured (synthetic) version of prostaglandin E2, a natural substance made by the body. Prostaglandin E2 is naturally secreted by the fetus and placenta during pregnancy. It plays an important role in the steps leading to labor by increasing contractions and relaxing and softening the cervix to allow passage of the baby. Dinoprostone mimics these natural actions of prostaglandin E2.
When and How to Receive ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with dinoprostone include the following:
- Dinoprostone comes in different forms; however, all forms are inserted into the vagina (intravaginally).
- It should only be administered by a trained healthcare provider, in a healthcare setting that can provide emergency services if needed.
- You will be lying down when dinoprostone is inserted, and will need to remain lying down for 10 minutes to two hours (depending on the particular product used) after the medicine is placed. This helps prevent the medicine from leaking out.
- Dinoprostone vaginal insert (Cervidil) will be removed by your healthcare provider when it is no longer needed. The other forms will not need to be removed.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
Dosing Information for DinoprostoneThe dose of dinoprostone your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The particular dinoprostone product you are using
- How you respond to the medication.