Dalteparin should be stored at room temperature. Make sure to keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets.
Is There a Generic?
At this time, this medication is not available in generic form (see Generic Fragmin)
Who Makes It?
Dalteparin is manufactured by Pfizer Inc., for Eisai, Inc.
Available Strengths of Dalteparin
Dalteparin is available in the followings strengths and forms:
- Dalteparin 2500 IU prefilled syringes (0.2 mL)
- Dalteparin 5000 IU prefilled syringes (0.2 mL)
- Dalteparin 7500 IU prefilled syringes (0.3 mL)
- Dalteparin 10,000 IU prefilled syringes (0.4 mL)
- Dalteparin 12,500 IU prefilled syringes (0.5 mL)
- Dalteparin 15,000 IU prefilled syringes (0.6 mL)
- Dalteparin 18,000 IU prefilled syringes (0.72 mL)
- Dalteparin 95,000 IU multi-dose vials (3.8 mL)
- Dalteparin 95,000 IU multi-dose vials (9.5 mL).
It is important to note that prefilled syringes are for a single use only, and most strengths are not graduated. This means that the syringes do not have any measurement lines or any other way to adjust the dosage (they are "all or nothing" dosage forms).
However, the 10,000 IU strength comes in both graduated and ungraduated prefilled single-use syringes. Therefore, if you need a nonstandard dosage (that is not the same as any of the prefilled syringe strengths), you will need to use either the multi-dose vials or the 10,000 IU graduated prefilled syringes. Keep in mind that if you use the 10,000 IU graduated prefilled syringes, you must discard any medication left in the syringe, as the syringes are single-use only (they do not contain preservatives).
Dalteparin prefilled syringes each come with a 27-gauge, 0.5-inch needle attached.