Drugs Home > Dosing With Colestipol
Your existing medical conditions and other medications you are taking help determine your drug dosing. With colestipol, the recommended starting dosage is 2 to 16 grams (tablets) or 5 to 30 grams (granules), taken in either one or two doses. If your cholesterol goals are not reached within several weeks, or if side effects occur, your healthcare provider may add a new cholesterol medication or adjust your dosing with colestipol.
The dose of colestipol (Colestid®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The form of colestipol (tablets versus granules)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your colestipol dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended colestipol dosage for adults is 2 to 16 grams for the tablets (2 to 16 tablets) or 5 to 30 grams for the granules per day (1 to 6 scoopfuls or packets), taken in either one or two doses. Your healthcare provider will likely recommend that you return to recheck your cholesterol levels after several weeks. If you have not reached your cholesterol goal at this time, your healthcare provider may choose to increase your dose or add a new cholesterol medication.
Your healthcare provider may decide to decrease your colestipol dosage if a side effect occurs or if your cholesterol levels fall significantly below the targeted goal.
Some considerations for people taking colestipol include the following:
- Colestipol should be used in combination with lifestyle modifications. This includes a healthy diet that is low in cholesterol (see Low Cholesterol Diet) and saturated fats, limited alcohol use, weight loss, and exercise.
- Your colestipol dosage should be taken with a meal and plenty of water to avoid constipation.
- Colestipol comes in either tablets or granules. Colestipol tablets are large pills, so let your healthcare provider know if you have had swallowing or choking problems in the past.
- Do not break, chew, or crush the colestipol tablets.
- Colestipol granules should never be taken in their dry form. Make sure to follow the preparation directions on the prescription. Colestipol may be mixed with water, non-carbonated beverages, liquid soup, apple sauce, or crushed pineapple.
- Colestipol should be taken at the same time each day to help maintain an even level of medicine in the blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- If you forget to take a dose of colestipol, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Never double your dose of colestipol at one time.
- Colestipol may reduce the absorption of some medications. If you are taking another medication, you may need to take it one hour before or four to six hours after you take colestipol. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist can let you know which medications need to be taken separately from colestipol (see Drug Interactions With Colestipol).
- For colestipol to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Colestipol will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to colestipol or your colestipol dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking colestipol without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.