Drugs Home > Claforan Dosage
For treating or preventing certain bacterial infections, Claforan can be given intravenously (by IV) or as an intramuscular (IM) injection. The IV injections are typically used for more serious infections, while the IM injections are generally used for less serious infections. The Claforan dosage your healthcare provider prescribes will depend on your age, your weight, and the severity of the infection being treated, among other factors.
An Introduction to Dosing With ClaforanThe dosage of Claforan® (cefotaxime) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, such as:
- Your age
- Your weight
- The type and severity of the infection being treated
- How well your kidneys are functioning.
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
What Is the Recommended Claforan Dosage for Treating Infections?Although the recommended dosage for Claforan varies, the usual amount for adults typically ranges from 0.5 grams (500 mg) as a single dose for treating less serious infections, up to 2 grams given every four hours for treating life-threatening infections. In general, the more serious the infection, the higher and more frequent the amount. Also, for more serious infections, Claforan should be given intravenously (by IV), but can be given as an intramuscular (IM) injection for less serious infections like gonorrhea.
For children, the dosage is calculated based on the child's weight. Claforan is approved for use even in newborns, including premature babies. The standard recommended dose is as follows:
- Newborns age 0 to 1 week -- 50 mg per kg (about 22.7 mg per lb) every 12 hours by IV
- Newborns age 1 to 4 weeks -- 50 mg per kg (about 22.7 mg per lb) every 8 hours by IV
- Children age 1 month to 12 years -- 50 to 180 mg per kg (about 22.7 to 81.8 mg per lb) total per day given as four to six smaller doses per day by IV or IM injection
- Any children weighing more than 50 kg (110 pounds) -- usual adult dosage, but not to exceed 12 grams total per day.
If your kidneys are not functioning well, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower or less frequent Claforan dose.