Drugs Home > Cetirizine and Pseudoephedrine Dosage
For most adults and children age 12 and older, the recommended cetirizine and pseudoephedrine dosage is one tablet twice a day, about 12 hours apart. People with kidney or liver disease may need a lower dose. Talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist if you are unsure about anything related to your cetirizine and pseudoephedrine dose.
Cetirizine and Pseudoephedrine Dosage: An IntroductionThere is only one recommended dose of cetirizine and pseudoephedrine (Zyrtec-D®). As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Cetirizine and Pseudoephedrine Dosage for Adults and Older ChildrenThe recommended dose of cetirizine and pseudoephedrine for most adults and children age 12 and over is one cetirizine and pseudoephedrine 12 hour tablet twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses.
Check with your healthcare provider before taking the drug if you have liver or kidney disease, as your body may not handle the medication as well as normal, and a lower dose may be recommended.
The label of cetirizine and pseudoephedrine recommends that people age 65 and older check with their healthcare providers before taking the drug in order to determine the best dose. It is common for liver and kidney function to decline with age, and a lower dose may be recommended. Also, older individuals may be more sensitive to the side effects of cetirizine and pseudoephedrine.
General Information on Dosing With Cetirizine and PseudoephedrineConsiderations for people taking cetirizine and pseudoephedrine include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth twice a day, with about 12 hours in between doses.
- Be sure to swallow the tablets whole. They are extended-release tablets and will release the medication too rapidly if they are broken, chewed, or crushed.
- You can take cetirizine and pseudoephedrine with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Some people need to take cetirizine and pseudoephedrine all year long, while others take it only during allergy season.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as directed by the package labeling. Please read the label closely.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or cetirizine and pseudoephedrine dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.