Drugs Home > Side Effects of Certolizumab Pegol
In clinical studies, joint pain, upper respiratory tract infections, and urinary tract infections were the most commonly reported certolizumab pegol side effects. Some of the less common side effects may include anemia, menstrual changes, and hair loss. While most side effects are mild, you should contact your healthcare provider immediately if you experience unexplained bruising or bleeding, chills, or difficulty breathing.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with certolizumab pegol (Cimzia®). However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with certolizumab pegol. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of side effects with you.)
There are a number of possible side effects with certolizumab pegol that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- Symptoms of an infection, including cough, chills, fever, or weakness
- Worsening of an existing hepatitis B infection
- Difficulty breathing, especially accompanied by water retention or swelling, which may be signs of congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Unusual skin or mole changes (signs of skin cancer)
- Unexplained bruising or bleeding
- Psychological disturbances, such as anxiety or suicidal behavior
- Neurological disorders, such as multiple sclerosis, seizures, or nerve pain
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including an unexplained rash, hives, itching, wheezing, or difficulty breathing, or unexplained swelling.