Drugs Home > Berinert Overdose
Although a healthcare provider is usually the person who administers the Berinert dosage, it is possible for you to receive too much of this drug. However, there have not been any reports of an overdose on Berinert to date. If one does occur, it may cause problems like nausea, vomiting, or abdominal (stomach) pain.
Berinert® (C1 esterase inhibitor) is an injectable prescription medication used to treat adults and adolescents with a condition known as hereditary angioedema (HAE). It is specifically used to treat sudden facial, abdominal (stomach), or laryngeal (voice box) swelling that can occur in people with this condition.
Berinert is given as an injection into a vein (an intravenous, or IV, injection). The injections can be given by a healthcare provider or, after proper training, self-administered.
As with most medicines, it is possible to overdose on Berinert. The effects of an overdose would likely vary, however, depending on a number of factors, such as the Berinert dosage and whether it was used in combination with any other medications or substances.
There have been no reports of an overdose with Berinert. Therefore, it is not entirely known what to expect if too much is given.
Berinert and similar medications have been reported to cause blood clots when given in doses that are higher than the normally recommended amounts. In the case of Berinert, doses exceeding 20 international units (IU) per kg body weight (about 9.09 IU per lb) may increase the risk for blood clots.
Blood clots can be life-threatening. If a clot blocks the flow of blood, serious problems can occur, including strokes, heart attacks, and death.
It is also reasonable to expect an overdose with this drug to cause the normal Berinert side effects, although they may be more severe. Potential side effects could include but are not limited to:
- A bad taste in the mouth
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- A rash