Drugs Home > Belimumab Side Effects
Nausea, fever, and diarrhea were some of the most common side effects reported in clinical trials of belimumab. If you are undergoing treatment with belimumab, contact your healthcare provider right away if you develop changes in the skin, hives, or any signs of an infection. In most cases, reactions to this medicine tend to be minor and easily treated.
Just like any medicine, belimumab (Benlysta®) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If reactions do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with belimumab. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Serious Side Effects of BelimumabSome belimumab side effects are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of infection, such as:
- Aches and pains
- Swollen glands in the neck, armpits, or groin
- Any skin changes, such as:
- Changes in the color or size of moles (medications like belimumab can, at least theoretically, increase the risk of skin cancer)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- Unexplained swelling of the mouth or throat
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing or swallowing.