Drugs Home > Atorvastatin
Atorvastatin calcium is a medication used to treat high cholesterol. As a statin, this drug works by blocking an enzyme that controls the rate of cholesterol production in the body. It is also used to treat high triglycerides and to help prevent heart disease. Potential side effects include headache, muscle pain, and diarrhea.
- Lowering cholesterol in people with high cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia). Atorvastatin can reduce total cholesterol, LDL ("bad cholesterol"), ApoB cholesterol (another type of "bad" cholesterol), and triglycerides, as well as raise HDL ("good cholesterol").
- Lowering triglycerides in people with high triglycerides (hypertriglyceridemia).
- As an add-on treatment in people with homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia to help lower total and LDL cholesterol.
- Reducing the risk of heart disease in people at risk for it.
- Reducing the risk of complications in people who already have heart disease.