Drugs Home > Side Effects of Artemether/Lumefantrine
Even though most people do not experience problems while using artemether/lumefantrine, side effects are possible. Some of the common reactions include nausea, dizziness, and headaches. Serious problems have also been known to occur with this medication. Notify your healthcare provider right away if you experience difficulty breathing, fainting, heart palpitations, or other potentially serious side effects.
An Introduction to Side Effects of Artemether/LumefantrineJust like any medicine, artemether/lumefantrine (Coartem®) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with artemether/lumefantrine. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Serious Artemether/Lumefantrine Side EffectsSome possible side effects with artemether/lumefantrine are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations)
- Swelling around your eyes, lips, hands, or feet
- Signs of anemia, such as:
- Fatigue or extreme weakness or tiredness
- A fast or uneven heartbeat
- Dizziness or fainting
- Difficulty concentrating
- Signs of liver problems, such as:
- Dark urine
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the upper part of the abdomen (stomach)
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.