Drugs Home > Afinitor
Afinitor is a prescription medicine licensed to treat several types of cancer, including certain pancreatic cancers, kidney cancers, and brain tumors. This medication works by blocking the action of certain enzymes in the body, which can help to slow down the growth of the cancer. Side effects may include fatigue, diarrhea, and mouth ulcers.
What Is Afinitor?Afinitor® (everolimus) is a prescription medication that belongs to a group of drugs called kinase inhibitors. It is approved to treat the following conditions:
- Advanced pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor (PNET), a type of pancreatic cancer, that cannot be treated with surgery
- Advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC), a type of kidney cancer, that has not adequately responded to certain other medications
- Subependymal giant cell astrocytoma (SEGA), a type of brain tumor that occurs in people with tuberous sclerosis (a rare genetic condition), when surgery is not an option
- Renal angiomyolipoma, a type of kidney tumor, in people with tuberous sclerosis who do not require immediate surgery
- Certain types of advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women who have not responded to certain other medications.