Some general considerations for when and how to take it include the following:
- The medication comes in the form of a tablet and is taken once a day, usually in the morning.
- It is best to take it on an empty stomach, 30 to 60 minutes before breakfast.
- If necessary (such as for young children), a tablet may be crushed and mixed with one or two teaspoons of water. This mixture must be taken immediately (it should not be stored).
- Your healthcare provider will adjust your dose based on certain blood tests. Be sure to tell your healthcare provider if you have missed any of your doses, as this may affect any dose adjustments.
- Try to take it at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Levoxyl will not work if you stop taking it.
The dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The results of certain thyroid blood tests
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Any other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Levoxyl Dosage for more information.)