Side Effects of Gemfibrozil
Interested in a Discount on Gemfibrozil?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
Some gemfibrozil side effects, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially if you have a fever or feel ill
- Severe stomach pain with nausea or vomiting
- Cough or hoarseness
- Passing brown or dark-colored urine
- Pain or difficulty passing urine
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
- Feeling more tired than usual
- Unexplained bleeding
- Bleeding that takes longer to stop
- Unexplained rash or itching.
During clinical trials, some side effects occurred in less than 2 percent of people taking gemfibrozil. Therefore, it is difficult to tell whether these problems were due to the medication or something else.
These rare gemfibrozil side effects include but are not limited to:
- Eczema or rash
- Skin cancer (including basal cell carcinoma)
- Muscle pain (see Lopid and Muscle Pain)
- Joint pain (see Lopid and Joint Pain)
- Increase in liver enzymes (see Lopid and Liver Problems)
- Atrial fibrillation (abnormal heart rhythm)
- Acute appendicitis
- Gallbladder disease
- Decrease in sexual desire (see Lopid Effects on Libido)
- Erectile dysfunction (ED or impotence)
- Weight loss
- Depression (see Lopid and Depression)
- Blurred vision
- Decrease in certain cells involved with the immune system
- Certain types of infection, such as the common cold, flu, or urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Serious allergic reactions
- Increased sun sensitivity.