Dosing With Gemfibrozil
The recommended starting gemfibrozil dosage is 600 mg taken twice a day. Some important guidelines for dosing with gemfibrozil are to take your gemfibrozil as prescribed, to take gemfibrozil in combination with exercise and a low-cholesterol diet, and to talk with your doctor if you are unsure about anything related to your gemfibrozil dosage.
The dose of gemfibrozil (Lopid®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As with any drug, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting dose for gemfibrozil is gemfibrozil 600 mg twice a day. Your healthcare provider will recommend that you return to have your triglyceride and/or cholesterol levels rechecked after four to eight weeks. If your triglycerides and/or cholesterol are not at the desirable levels after three months of therapy, your healthcare provider may choose to stop your gemfibrozil treatment. The maximum daily dosage of gemfibrozil is 1200 mg.
Some considerations for people taking gemfibrozil include:
- Gemfibrozil should be used in combination with lifestyle modifications. This includes weight loss, exercise, limited alcohol use, and a healthy diet low in cholesterol and saturated fats.
- Gemfibrozil should be taken with a glass of water, 30 minutes before morning and evening meals.
- Gemfibrozil should be taken at the same times every day to help maintain an even level of the drug in your blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- Your healthcare provider may decide to decrease your dose of gemfibrozil if a side effect occurs or if your triglycerides and/or cholesterol levels fall significantly below the targeted goal.
- There is no dosing adjustment for people 65 years of age and older.
- If you have severe kidney disease, in most cases it is recommended that you not take gemfibrozil. Your healthcare provider should instead consider an alternative cholesterol-lowering medicine. If gemfibrozil is necessary, it should be used with extreme caution.
- If you forget to take a dose of gemfibrozil, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Never double your dose of gemfibrozil at one time.
- For gemfibrozil to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Gemfibrozil will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to gemfibrozil or your gemfibrozil dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking gemfibrozil without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.