Fluconazole Dosage for Thrush
The recommended dosage for thrush in adults is fluconazole
200 mg on the first day, followed by 100 mg once daily for at least two weeks (for thrush of the mouth or throat) or for at least three weeks (for thrush of the esophagus).
Dose of Fluconazole for Other Candida Infections
The fluconazole dosages for treating other Candida
infections (such as bloodstream, urinary tract, or abdominal infections) have not been clearly established. A wide range of dosages, from 50 to 400 mg daily, have been used.
Dosing for Meningitis
The standard dose of fluconazole for treating cryptococcal meningitis
in adults is 400 mg the first day, followed by 200 mg daily for 10 to 12 weeks. For preventing relapses of this infection in people with AIDS
, the standard dosage is 200 mg daily.
Using Fluconazole in Transplant Patients
The recommended dosage for preventing fungal infections in adults undergoing bone marrow transplantation is fluconazole 400 mg once daily.
Fluconazole Dosing in Children
Your child's healthcare provider will calculate an appropriate amount based on your child's age and weight.
General Information on Your Dose of Fluconazole
Some considerations for people taking fluconazole include the following:
- Fluconazole comes in tablet, suspension (oral liquid), and injectable form.
- You can take this medication with or without food and at any time of the day.
- Be sure to shake fluconazole oral suspension well before each dose.
- For the medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to fluconazole dosing, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.