Side Effects of Fexofenadine
Most people do not experience fexofenadine side effects. If side effects do occur, they are usually minor. Some of the most common side effects of this medication are headache, cough, and respiratory tract infection. Rare side effects, such as sleep problems, allergic reaction, and rash, are also possible.
An Introduction to Fexofenadine Side EffectsAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with fexofenadine (Allegra®); however, not everyone who takes this medication will have side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. When people do develop side effects, in most cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects of fexofenadine. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of fexofenadine side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Fexofenadine
Fexofenadine has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, side effects are always documented and compared to symptoms that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common fexofenadine side effects experienced by adults or children include:
- Vomiting -- in up to 12 percent of people
- Headache -- up to 10.3 percent (see Allegra and Migraines)
- Coughing -- up to 3.8 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 3.7 percent
- Respiratory tract infection, such as the common cold or flu -- up to 2.9 percent
- Drowsiness or fatigue -- up to 2.8 percent
- Back pain -- up to 2.5 percent (see Allegra and Back Pain)
- Middle ear infection (otitis media) -- up to 2.4 percent
- Fever -- up to 2.4 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 2.1 percent
- Indigestion -- up to 2.1 percent
- Arm or leg pain -- up to 2.1 percent.