Dosing With Fexofenadine and Pseudoephedrine
Your dosage of fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine will be based on several factors, such as which strength you are using. With fexofenadine 60 mg and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 120 mg, one tablet is taken 12 hours apart, twice a day. For the higher strength, fexofenadine 180 mg and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 240 mg, the suggested dosage is one tablet once daily.
The recommended dose of fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine (Allegra-D®) will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Fexofenadine and Pseudoephedrine Dosing for Seasonal Allergies
For adults and children over age 12, the fexofenadine 60 mg and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 120 mg dose (12-hour strength) is one tablet twice a day taken 12 hours apart. It should be taken on an empty stomach with a drink of water.
For adults and children over age 12, fexofenadine 180 mg and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 240 mg (24-hour strength) is one tablet once a day. It should also be taken on an empty stomach with a drink of water.
For people with kidney disease, check with your healthcare provider before taking this medication, as you may need a lower-than-normal dosage.
Some considerations for people taking fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine include:
- Fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine comes in tablet form. It is recommended that you take your dosage with a glass of water, without food.
- Do not break, chew, or crush the fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine tablets.
- Fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine should be taken at the same time each day to help maintain an even level of medicine in the blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- If you forget to take a dose of fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Never double your dose of fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine at one time.
- Occasionally, the inactive components of fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine may be eliminated in the feces looking very similar to the tablet.
- If you are unsure about anything related to fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine or your dosage of this combination medicine, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.